On Saturday 27th January 2024 the SSI New Beginnings Festival weighed anchor at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney.
The festival is a celebration of hope, unity, and a new beginning. It aims to foster an inclusive society that promotes equal opportunities through arts and culture initiatives.
The Multicultural Festival, sponsored by the Australian Government’s Smartraveller saw over 7,000 people visit the event.
Anyone who felt inspired to travel overseas after visiting the festival are encouraged to make Smartraveller their first destination. It provides Australians with the information they need to prepare and plan for their overseas trip and make informed choices.
This includes advice on passports, visas, and travel insurance through to detailed travel advice on over 175 destinations. It also offers essential resources in multiple languages.
Another festival goer commented that “Smartraveller made travelling with children for the first time to visit family overseas much easier. Their information was invaluable, providing practical guidance. It made sure we had a smooth and enjoyable trip for our family reunion.“
Smartraveller’s travel tips for your future overseas adventures:
- Research and confirm visa and entry requirements for your destination. Reach out to the relevant embassy or consulate for up-to-date information.
- Consult a doctor to learn about recommended vaccinations and health precautions for your destination. Check your medication’s legality and requirements.
- Don’t forget your travel insurance and make sure you read the fine print on your policy.
- Be aware of how dual nationality may affect your travel plans and consular services.
- Respect the laws of the country you’re visiting, as they may differ from those in Australia.
- Be mindful of the culture and places of significance in the regions you explore. This includes wearing appropriate clothing at places such as temples.
- Leave a copy of your travel itinerary and insurance details with someone back in Australia.
- If you don’t already have a passport allow six weeks to renew or apply.
Future travellers are encouraged to read the Consular Services Charter on Smartraveller https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/consular-services/consular-services-charter.
Travellers should align their travel insurance decisions with the advice level of their destination and the activities they are doing.
For more information about Smartraveller and to access their travel advice please visit https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/consular-services/communities