Some Silly Stereotypes Regarding India
Priyam Chatterjee | On 20, Mar 2014
A great man named Nirad Chaudhury had once said that ‘In India, even exceptions exist in millions’. Yes people, these are true words, since such is the diversity of this great country. But there are many false rumours also regarding India and we’re gonna try and dispel some of these false views from the minds of people who’ve never set foot in our country. So, in the interest of the general public, here it goes –
1) INDIANS DO NOT GORGE ON SPICY CURRIES EVERY DAY!
Yes that is true. The staple food that people eat consists of chapattis, rice, dal and side dishes maybe some vegetable or chicken, fish etc. The bright colourful curries that most of you have seen here and there on television, print media etc. exist only in restaurants or are prepared in homes only on special occasions.
Very few people outside India might know that the seven sisters viz. the North Eastern states of India do not have the dowry system. Actually in Meghalaya, most of the weddings are maternal in nature where the moolah flows from mothers to daughters rather than from fathers to sons. Here, women are the centre piece of almost everything.
3) INDIAN CINEMA DOES NOT MEAN BOLLYWOOD!
Regional films might not be as popular as Bollywood movies and also earn a lot less in profits than Bollywood films, but many regional films are much respected by people and critically acclaimed. Whether Bhojpuri, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Marathi etc. they also play a huge role in the evolution of Indian cinema.
4) ALL INDIANS DO NOT LIVE IN MASSIVE JOINT FAMILIES!
The huge number of nonsense TV soaps is the major culprit for this widespread misconception. The soaps exaggerate almost anything and everything.
5) ALL INDIANS ARE NOT LIKE RAJESH KOOTHRAPALLI!
Yes, folks we Indian men can easily handle our women. The character played by Kunal Nayyar in the hit TV show ‘The Big Bang Theory’ has contributed majorly to such an incorrect view about Indians. People might not know but in real life, Dr. Rajesh Koothrapalli is married to a former Miss India.
6) NOT ALL PEOPLE FROM SOUTH INDIA ARE DARK COMPLEXIONED WITH CURLY HAIR!
A majority of people down South have dusky skin but some are incredibly fair too. And everyone there does not wear lungis and all people do not have big devilish moustaches! South actresses are incredibly pretty although the actors have contributed to this false image of men with huge moustaches!
7) EVERYONE FROM NORTH EAST DOES NOT HAVE EASTERN ASIAN LOOKS
The majority of people from the North East do not have East Asian features. So, it is racist to ask a person from the North East as to why they don’t have the typical East Asian look.
8) ALL INDIANS ARE NOT PURE VEGETARIANS
The quantity of non vegetarian food consumed in our country is also quite high. This includes poultry, pork etc. even beef. And it may come as quite a surprise to you that India recently became the world’s top beef exporter in the year 2012. About 70% of all non vegetarian foods are exported and hence the remaining 30% goes into people’s stomachs!
9) CRICKET IS NOT EVERY INDIAN’S CUP OF TEA!
Contrary to popular notion, every Indian does not love cricket and some even hate it. Other sports such as badminton, football, tennis also have a huge following nowadays. So the next time you walk into a bar, do not be surprised to find a group of young people passionately debating matters related to perhaps the English Premier League, the NBA etc.
10) EVERY EDUCATED INDIAN IS NOT AN IT PROFESSIONAL
In the U.S, 1 out of every 200 working person is an IT Professional. The quantity of software engineers there is about 4.5 lakh while that in India is around 2.75 lakhs. And the rest need not be said!
11) INDIAN SOCIETY IS NOT THAT CONSERVATIVE AS DEPICTED
Again, the time has come to blame those non-sensical TV soaps. India has greatly modernised and women have a lot more freedom nowadays. The sight of young women enjoying themselves at parties at late hours is no more a big surprise.
12)THE BRIDE AND THE GROOM IN AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE DO NOT MEET ON THE DAY OF THE WEDDING!
Almost all arranged marriages are precluded by a length time duration of at least many months when the couple get to know each other and thus evaluate their prospective relationship.
13)ALL INDIANS DO NOT HAVE THAT RUSSELL PETER’S DAD’S ACCENT!
Modern Indians do not at all speak like that. Indians are really cool people and such misnomers do not bother them.
So think twice before mocking us with that accent because then ‘somebody gonna get a hurt real bad’!!
Heroic Indian boatman is rewarded after finding baby girl floating along the river Ganges in Ghazipur City