BUTTER CHICKEN CAKE RECIPE
Daisy Akhtar | On 27, May 2021
First, you will need:
- 4.5Kg Yo’s Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Simple Syrup
- Yo’s Famous Italian Meringue Buttercream
- 3 x Yo’s Rich Caramel
- 2 x Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Red Gel Food Coloring
- Puffed Rice Cereal
- Black Fondant
- 1lb Beige Gumpaste
- 30gms Green Gumpaste
- 30gms Black Gumpaste
- Green Color Dust
- Black Gel Food Coloring
- Clear Food Grade Alcohol
- Divide 2.2 Kilos of the Pumpkin Spice batter into four 12” square pans.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 55 minutes.
- Check the cake with a skewer to ensure it comes out clean.
- Then, let the cakes cool in their pans.
- Use a ruler and a serrated knife to level off your cakes.
- Then, carve your cakes into oval shapes; use a template if required.
- Stack the cakes on top of one another and round out the top edge(s).
- Finally, carve a slight A-line shape. Save any scraps for later.
- Pour over Simple Syrup.
- Allow the syrup to absorb into the cake(s).
- Fill your cake by spreading a layer of Italian Meringue Buttercream on the top of your bottom layer. Next, place your second cake layer on top before you proceed to coat your cake with more buttercream.
- Chill in a fridge for 20 mins, then apply a final coat of buttercream. Place it back in the refrigerator to chill for another 20 mins.
- Take the Black Fondant and roll it slightly thicker than usual. Next, cut a band that is taller than your cake. Roll the fondant up on a rolling pin and unroll around your cake structure, smoothing and tucking under as you go.
- Chill your cake, so the fondant sets.
- Next, you need to mark and trim your fondant to the same height around your cake structure. Leave a lip to hold in your butter chicken.
- Roll out two tubes of Black Gumpaste. Then insert an 18-gauge floral wire. Be sure enough is left on either end to attach to your cake.
- Continue to it roll out evenly before you bend it around a bowl to get a curve.
- Trimming the ends clean and allow to set.
- Next, create a fondant paste by mixing the clear food-grade alcohol into the leftover fondant.
- Paint on your cake to fill in any seams and patch any cracking that may have occurred while making the cake.
- Mix black gel food-colouring with clear but good grade alcohol; then, paint the entire surface of your cake with it.
- Thinly roll out your green gum paste, using a leafcutter to cut out parsley shapes. Emboss with a leaf impression and place to dry over a crumpled paper towel. Then, dust with green colour dust.
- Lastly, roll the beige gum paste on the thicker side into an oval shape. Then, push and pull in bubbles before you lay it to dry over a crumpled paper towel.
- Begin carving small irregular pieces with a paring knife from the saved scraps. These will be your chicken pieces.
- Mix rich caramel with pumpkin pie filling and add small amounts of red gel food colouring until you get the hue right.
- Insert your pot handles into either side of your cake before topping with puffed rice in a small section and laying on your chicken pieces.
- Pour over your sauce; also, use it to fill in any gaps you may have.
- Use a brulee-torch and insert it into the sauce on your cake to crisp.
- Sprinkle on your gum-paste parsley and tuck in.