Guide to Thai Curries
Curries are popular in India too, but Indian curries are much thicker as compared to their Thai counterparts which usually have soup like consistency. Served in all parts of Thailand, Thai curries are becoming exceedingly popular since they not only taste good but are quite nutritious as well. You can cook Thai curries at home by getting readymade curry pastes from the market. These aromatic curry pastes are made from several combinations of herbs, vegetables, fruits and spices. Although there are many versions of Thai curry pastes, the following three are the most popular ones –
• Green – Green curry paste is prepared with ingredients like green chilies, fresh coriander, basil and lime leaves.
• Red – Besides red chilies this curry paste includes ingredients like lemongrass, white peppercorn, shallots, coriander, cumin and galangal.
• Yellow – Main ingredients include turmeric, cumin, shrimp paste, shallots and coriander.
Let’s discover how to make a very interesting red Thai curry recipe called ‘Thai Chicken and Mango Curry’ which has the spicy flavor of red chilies along with the sweetness of mangoes. Add chicken and mushrooms and you’ve got yourself a bowl full of nourishment.
Note – This recipe serves 4 people and takes around 30-40 minutes to prepare.
Ripe Mangoes – 2
Chicken (with bone) – 500 gm
Button Mushrooms – 12
Thai Red Curry Paste – 1 tablespoon
Vegetable Oil – 2 tablespoon
Ginger – 2 teaspoon
Vegetable Stock – 1 cup
Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
Fish Sauce – 1.5 tablespoon
Brown Sugar – 0.5 tablespoon
Basil (leaves) – 10
Coconut Milk – 0.5 cup
• Peel the mangoes and cut them into smaller pieces. Similarly, cut the chicken into smaller pieces as well.
• Now put a non-stick pan on flame and once it becomes hot, pour oil into it.
• Add red curry paste and onions and mix them well.
• Chop the ginger and add it to the mixture.
• Now add mushrooms and cook on high flame for about a minute or two.
• Add chicken and mix well. Let the mixture cook for about 2 minutes.
• Now, stir the mixture and add vegetable stock. Once everything is mixed properly cover the lid and cook for some time.
• Now add sugar, coconut milk and fish sauce and let it cook for about 5 more minutes on low flame.
• In the end, add mangoes and basil leaves and again let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
• Turn off the flame and serve the chicken and mango curry with rice or noodles.
Guide to Thai Curries