7 Unique Children’s Names of Bollywood Celebrity
Damien Peters | On 13, Oct 2014
The big craze of the 21st century in India must be the craze of parents to give their children unique names. This fad has made its way down from Hollywood, and now everyone in Bollywood has caught on to it. It is no longer possible to read or hear a person refer to his child without asking him what it means. People have become used to appending their children’s names in social conversations with a full description of their origins and meanings.
It may come to it that in a generation, the name ‘Rahul’ may become a ‘unique’ name because there are no Rahuls anymore.
Anyway, in this piece, we bring you a list of strange names that Bollywood stars have chosen for their kids.
- Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Khan: Gauri and Shahrukh have three kids- Aryan, Suhana and AbRam. Aryan means a ‘warrior’ and Suhana means ‘charming’. So far, so good. Explaining the unique name of his third child, Shahrukh has been quoted saying, ‘His name is based on a variation of Prophet Abraham. And I liked the connotation that it is kind of a secular name (with the word ‘Ram’ in it).’
- Imran Khan and Avantika Malik: For new parents, Imran Khan and his wife Avantika, Swahili was the place they found their daughter’s name: Imara. It means ‘strong and resolute’. They also added both their surnames to Imara, so she’s officially Imara Malik Khan.
- Hrithik Roshan and Sussanne Khan: Sussanne and Hrithik Roshan chose two unique Indian names for their boys. Hridhaan means a person with a ‘big heart’ whereas Hrehaan, which is a variation of the Arabic word Rehan, means ‘God’s chosen one’.
- Sanjay Dutt and Manyata: When Manyata and Sanjay needed to name their twins, they decided to look towards Persian and Hebrew for inspiration. Shahraan is derived from Shah (royal), and raan (knight), which means royal knight or warrior. And, his daughter Iqra’s name means ‘to educate’ in Hebrew.
- Farah Khan and Shirish Kunder: Farah, who gave birth to triplets back in 2008, named her children Anya, Diva and Czar. Anya means grace in Russian and infinite in Sanskrit; Diva, means divine in Latin and Czar, is the Latin word for an emperor.
- Madhuri Dixit and Sriram Nene: Madhuri and Sriram chose Irish names for their boys. Their first son is named Raayan, which means ‘gates of paradise/heaven’ in Arabic, and means ‘little prince’ in Sanskrit. Their second son is named Aarin, which means ‘mountain strength’.
- Farhan and Adhuna Akhtar: Farhan and Adhuna named their children Akira and Shakya. Akira is a Japanese name that means ‘bright and intelligent’; this is also the name of Farhan’s favourite director, Akira Kurusawa. Shakya means a ‘circle of energy’.