COMEDY ZONE ASIA RETURNS FOR A FOURTH YEAR SHOWCASING THE BEST OF ASIAN COMEDY TO THE MELBOURNE STAGE!
‘Comedy Zone Asia is living proof that the empire strikes back’ ★★★★ Herald Sun
The fantastically funny performers delivering a captivating serve of comedy culture this year, include:
- Azeem Banatwalla (India), one of India’s premier comedy stars known for his sharp comedy writing, intelligent stand-up and natural charisma. A member of the popular comedy collective ‘East India Comedy’, he recently landed his own Amazon Prime stand-up special. Watch Azeem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX6p4An72RM
- In a few short years on the comedy scene, Hannan Azlan (Malaysia) has made serious waves, becoming the youngest winner of the Hong Kong International Comedy Competition and earning a nomination for Women Of The Future Awards: Southeast Asia under the Arts & Culture category. Hannan skewers all manner of subjects from race to religion with her clever songs, unique voice and eclectic stage presence. Watch Hannan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUKzoxo8v8
- From Mumbai comes Karunesh Talwar (India), a young writer and performer known for his tough take on the everyday. A former writer and performer for India’s prime comedy consultancy ‘Weirdass Comedy’, Karunesh treads the comedy line with incisive wit that keeps the audience on their toes.
- Prakash Daniel (Malaysia) hosted Comedy Central’s Stand Up Asia in 2017, with his insightful observations and effervescent personality proving him a natural on screen. Since then he has performed around Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore, and is a regular at the Crackhouse Comedy Club in Kuala Lumpur. Watch Prakash here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAGS5Y7rgZ4
- Born and raised in Japan, Takashi Waka (Japan) first headed to Sydney to study but before long was performing regularly at the Sydney Comedy Store. Stuck in a chasm between Japanese and Western culture, he brings a fresh perspective on Aussie life and retells stories of Japan that will have you both fascinated and roaring with laughter.
Performance in English
Venue: Chinese Museum | Dates: 29 March – 22 April
Time: Tue-Sat 7pm, Sun 6pm | Tickets: $22-$34
Bookings: www.comedyfestival.com.au, ph 03 9245 3788 or at the venue