SIX BREATHING TIPS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR LUNGS
Mahima Singh | On 19, May 2021
The last year has cast the importance of having a robustly strong breathing ability, given the dangers of Covid-19. Breathing exercises help combat the effects of a Covid infection and benefit before, during, and after a positive diagnosis.
Therefore, ways to strengthen your breathing are always beneficial. Here are just a few to consider:
1. Daily Exercise
Exercise is proven to stimulate your body’s immune system. In addition, exercise will reduce the inflammation in your airways and lungs. This is important in Covid infection as inflammation is a significant symptom and makes breathing difficult. During exercise, oxygen is forced into the lungs, which helps mucus elimination. This is a big plus.
2. Breathing Tips
- Breathe in through your nose only. This causes the air passing through your nose to warm up and humidify before entering your lungs.
- Humming as you breathe in causes nasal Nitric Oxide to increase due to increased airflow. This has been proven to have antibacterial and antifungal benefits.
- Breathe slowly and build up a rhythm.
- As you breathe in through your nose, pass the air into your stomach in a controlled and relaxed fashion. This causes your diaphragm to contract efficiently.
- Concentrating and being mindful will help you focus while you practice correct breathing techniques. This helps reduce your stress levels.
- Sit tall and keep your spine straight as you breathe in; the lungs are delicate bags.
More than 500,000 Australians suffer from chronic respiratory conditions.
Now is the time to start exercising your lungs, and they will serve you well, long after Covid has left us!!